Tuesday, May 18, 2010

5/18/2010 - 3rd full day in Budapest


















I have a question: Why do you travel? Do you travel to see the sights? Do you travel to experience the culture? Do you travel to meet people? Do you travel to enjoy the cheap beer and get shit drunk?

I think for most of us it's a little bit of everything (maybe not the drunk part) and just taking what comes with it. For myself, it's hard to think of a single time I've been on vacation and it's not been sunny. That's just something I've grown to expect; when I'm on vacation, I'm in the sun. Well, that certainly hasn't been the case this time around! The weather has been rainy and VERY windy! It's a good thing I'm from Seattle, or I'd be stuck inside the hostel moping!


Back to the original question: personally, I think it's much easier to experience the culture than anything else when traveling. All you have to do is walk out the door and immerse yourself in, whether it's eating the food, talking to folks, visiting sites, listening to the music or just walking around. I really enjoy seeing the sites when I travel, but I do my best not to stick to a firm itinerary. I'm a wanderer at heart, so one of my favorite things to do is just grab a map and start hitting the streets. This is more rewarding for me as you just never know what you'll come across, and some of the best hidden treasures of sight-seeing will come when you least expect them.

All right, I'm rambling, what can I say about Budapest? It's very similar to any other major European city I've been to; Dublin, London and Rome all have the similar setup of winding streets and European architecture lining both sides. It's hard to know if you're looking at people's homes, offices, or what is actually in these buildings above the ground level. Here are some pictures of my roams through Budapest so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment